Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Good News Reviewed

Having some time off today, I thought I'd pull out the highlights of the report listed below...and a few comments, as well. I'm glad they got recertified, but given the rate of schools that do meet the requirements, is that something to crow about? It is like

• The family atmosphere that pervades the interaction throughout the school community

Not as much as in the past, but it is good to see that some of it still survives. I guess if you cherry pick who gets to meet with the panel, it helps, eh?

• The leadership of the pastor and principal that empowers the faculty and staff in fostering a loving and caring Catholic school that is proud of its Catholicity and educational opportunities.

I would doubt that many of the staff feel they are empowered…unless they are told they are told they are, and where they are allowed to be empowered.

• The re-establishment of the School Advisory Panel and their diligence in monitoring the
strategic plan.

“Re-Establishment” is a rich one, given how Denise did everything in her power to eliminate any such group, and said she didn’t want or need it about a year ago…and drug her feet to get it “re-established.”

• The high-level of parental involvement and support of Holy Cross School and Catholic
Education.

Want to compare what the level of involvement was in past years?

• The students of Holy Cross for living and assimilating the faith and Christian values
taught in both school and home

No arguments whatsoever. We’ve got good kids, if I do say so myself.

• The accurate evaluation of the strengths and weaknesses of Holy Cross School as written in the self-study document.

I might doubt the “accuracy”, but the completeness is probably more the issue.

• The actualization of the school’s Mission and Belief statements.

Academic gobbledygook. Read the Mission and Belief Statement sometime and tell me how they could NOT meet it.

• The curriculum improvements being addressed in the areas of language arts, math and
Science.

Change is good, I guess, even if it for change’s sake, but I’ll give her this one, as well.

• The organized use of available communication tools throughout the campus.

Walkie Talkies and the Intercom system, I guess. Glad the school is using them.

No comments: